Belize is diverse! Diverse in food, culture, landscapes, experiences and language with a unique Caribbean experience for each and every visitor. Whether you’re discovering the underwater treasures of the Belize Barrier Reef or simply immersing yourself in a true island vacation of white sands, crystal clear waters, swaying hammocks and delicious fruity cocktails, we’ve created the ultimate itinerary of things to do in and around San Pedro Town for the perfect bucket-list vacation and a safe stay in Belize.
Day 1 – Welcome to San Pedro “La Isla Bonita”
Ambergris Caye is easily accessible from the mainland on a puddle jumper, or from the port of Belize City the Ocean Ferry or Belize Water Taxi will have you in San Pedro in 90 minutes. Our Guest Services will arrange for ground transportation to your luxurious Indigo Resort oceanfront condo and once at the resort we advise you rent a golf cart to explore the island.
Depending on your arrival time, our recommendation for a warm island welcome is the Rojo Bar, an iconic, chic yet casual Caribbean beach bar with an infinity pool, comfy loungers in the shade and hammocks in the trees. Rojo Beach Bar is a slow afternoon affair and if you’re in the mood you can party past sunset till the rum runs dry too! It’s a short distance up the road so leave the unpacking for later and get your Caribbean vacation started!
Day 2 – Out and About in San Pedro Town
Ambergris Caye is bursting with a vibrant and exciting local culture and we encourage you to spend your first day immersed in the true island vibe of San Pedro. The streets are buzzing with friendly locals and expats ready to share their tips for an authentic San Pedro experience, point out the best fruit & veg in town and welcome you to their piece of paradise. A great way to set the tone for a true island vacation.
- Begin your day with a spectacular sunrise over the reef from the comfort of your private veranda before heading out on your golf cart for a day around town.
- Every day in San Pedro needs to begin with a traditional Belizean Breakfast and it’s time to fuel up for a day of exploring! Indulge in the famous Fry Jacks, eggs and beans at Estel’s, homemade meat pies at Boogie’s Belly or stop by Maria’s Fruit & Veg for some fresh fruit and island juices.
- San Pedro Town is easy to explore with only three main roads, Middle Street, Back Street and Front Street, it’s here you’ll find most of the oceanfront restaurants and beach bars. Local Tips: Be sure to stop by the Rum, Cigar & Coffee shop for an authentic Cuban Cigar and fresh roasted coffee, the San Pedro Town Artisan Market for souvenirs, Graniel’s for authentic Belizean artwork and the Belize Chocolate Company for a tasting of local organic artisan chocolate. If you’re into the arts, check out the House of Culture on Back street for colorful exhibits by local artists from Belize.
- Now you’ve got your bearings and soaked up the island vibe it’s time for a little R&R and the options on Ambergris Caye are endless. Float the afternoon away with a cold Belikin on an inner tube at the iconic Palapa Bar, sip rum cocktails with your toes in the sand at Sandy Toes Beach Bar or for a quieter setting head to the lagoon side of the island for a tranquil and unbeatable sunset at Stella’s Sunset Wine Bar (reservations essential).
Day 3 – Discover the beauty of the Belize Barrier Reef
Most of our guests are here to experience the famous Belize Barrier Reef in one way or another. Whether it’s snorkeling the shallow waters, diving to the depths of the Great Blue Hole, taking a scenic aerial tour or reeling in a trophy tarpon … today’s the day to discover the true beauty of Belize, the turquoise waters of the Belize Barrier Reef. Our concierge team are happy to help with bookings for all excursions and activities, many leaving right from your private dock! Here’s our top suggestions for a day on and under the shimmering Caribbean Sea.
- The Great Blue Hole is the signature dive of Belize and a bucket-list adventure for all advanced divers. It takes around 3 hours to reach the Blue Hole so this is a full day trip.
- Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley is the best Belize dive for beginners and offers some of the best snorkeling in Belize with an up close and personal encounter with swarms of Stingrays and Nurse Sharks.
- Charter the ocean waters! Anglers can’t resist the pull of the ocean and Belize is a hot spot for tarpon, bonefish and the elusive permit fish and promises year-round rod bending excitement with a variety of fishing charters and all kinds of angling opportunities.
- If adrenaline infused water sports are more your style, there’s an abundance of water activities on Ambergris Caye to enjoy. Rent a jet ski and head to Caye Caulkner, kiteboard the warm shallow waters, take a thrilling ride on a banana boat or parasail through the sunny skies.
- Not everyone wants to get their feet wet! If you want to experience the beauty of the Belize Barrier Reef from the skies, we highly suggest an aerial tour with Tropic Air. This is a one hour flight and gives you a birds eye view of one of the “Ten Most Amazing Places on Earth”.
- Now that you’ve worked up an appetite and experienced the top attraction in Belize, it’s time to quench your thirst, satisfy your hunger and witness an unbeatable San Pedro sunset at the iconic Truck Stop, a family-friendly food truck garden with chill hammocks, a laid-back vibe, karaoke nights, games, poolside movies and a scenic lagoon side deck, Belize’s first shipping container food truck park and a bit hit with both locals and visitors to San Pedro.
- If you’re here for a party and late night shenanigans, San Pedro is a real party town and you’re sure to find great nightlife and entertainment late into the night! Enjoy live music at San Pedro’s oldest and largest palapa bar, Fido’s, sing karaoke and race hermit crabs at Crazy Canucks (yes, seriously!), hit the jackpot on the slots at Captain Morgan’s Casino and then dance the night away at Jaguar’s Temple, the only club open after midnight!. There is always something hip and happening going on and the locals are always happy to share the scoop! Just ask!
Day 4 – Switch to Island Time and “Go Slow”
You’ve packed in the best attractions in San Pedro, so today we switch to island time and go slow. Whether your idea of go slow is sandcastles and sun worshipping, a leisure cruise in search of bottlenose dolphins or a long, lazy oceanfront lunch in the shade of the coconut palms … today’s the day to enjoy our laid-back, chilled island lifestyle.
- Go slow may not mean awake early for many but a final, serene sunrise over the Belize Barrier Reef awaits! If late night shenanigans were involved, you can always nod back off!
- Slowly unwind and make your way to Ak’Bol Eco Resort for inspiring yoga and meditation over the water, a refreshing ocean dip and a traditional Belizean breakfast at their restaurant on the beach.
- Hop on your golf cart and head to Secret Beach for the rest of the morning and enjoy a lunch of fresh ceviche and cocktails at Blue Bayou, where your tables are perfectly set in the clear blue waters. Local Tip: During the winter months look out for the migrating birds, you may be lucky to spot a Roseate Spoonbill, you may think it’s a flamingo at first.
- Now it’s time to live like a local and indulge in some traditional Belizean food. Change out your shrimp for conch, your gin for rum and your steak for rat? Hmmm, most won’t go that far but you get the picture! If you’re a true foodie all you need is an appetite to enjoy the Savor Belize tour with Belize Food Tours or check out our guide to the best restaurants and food stops in San Pedro town for the idyllic setting for your final night in San Pedro. Bon Appetit and Bon Voyage!
Stay with us on Ambergris Caye
So, if you’re looking for the ultimate San Pedro itinerary and Belize vacation rental, look no further! Our inviting handpicked portfolio of vacation rentals on Ambergris Caye suit every style of Caribbean living, from luxury oceanfront condos to true island style living in the heart of San Pedro Town.
Our high-end amenities are designed to give you all the comforts of home, our friendly staff will exceed your expectations with five-star hospitality and our local travel tips and Belize blog will add that extra special personalized touch to your dream vacation in Belize.